Thursday, January 23, 2014

Christmas in Greeneville

It feels like Christmas was ages ago, but it hasn't even been a month, so I'm choosing to not feel like this is incredibly delayed. In our world filled with instant updates, I feel like we (I) put unrealistic expectations on sharing things same day, same moment, and in the same breath that they occur. I almost didn't write this post because I felt like it was so late, but any Christmas is too big not to document for future reflection, and our Christmas's with Addie certainly are.

Christmas has always been one of my favorite times of year, and now that we have Addie, I feel like I'm getting to relive some of those beautiful, "perfect" childhood memories ... except with all of the pressure, stress and commitments of being an adult. Sidebar - Mom & Dad, I have the BEST memories of Christmas from growing up. ..now I know how hard / impossible it is to make things feel so effortless and perfect for our children - there's so much more to juggle as an adult!!!! And it doesn't go away so you can bake cookies and make candy with your children or decorate a Christmas card worthy tree. ..so I appreciate you even more!! - End sidebar. Between my work always being extra busy during 4th quarter and Philip's being slower sales-wise and requiring more time and effort to make his sales goals for the month, we've always struggled to get things done without losing our minds. That wasn't so bad pre-Addie because we were just happy it got done, but now Christmas means even more. So, you don't sleep much, but it all gets done. ..and you know what? I have already forgotten the stress and lost sleep, and I just remember the beautiful moments with my sweet family of four (we have to include Prince in the count now, obviously). Those moments are what count, and I'm already missing Christmas. I actually wish we could do a post-Christmas, Christmas where you play the music, put up the decorations, and just craft, bake, and visit with friends and family without all of the other craziness and expectation. Maybe pick a random slow month each year (like January or June) to have "second" Christmas, just to make it different and special.

Anyway - our Christmas was truly wonderful. We made candy with Addie for the first time - a family tradition from my side of the family - sugar cookies for Santa, decorated the tree (no bugs this year!!! but it still died the first night. ..), and wrapped presents. I think my favorite was just sitting on the couch with Philip & Addie - much like we do every night for Addie's last tube feeding of the day - by the white light of the garland over the mantle and the lights from the Christmas tree. This is when Addie has bed time and falls asleep with this meal, and because of our crazy work hours, Philip often falls asleep mid-Email or note. In those moments, I got to sit and just memorize the sounds of their breathing, the glow on Addie's pink cheeks, and thank God for a whisper of peace in an otherwise chaotic world. I kept hanging onto the line "the weary world rejoices". ..my weary heart was rejoicing in the promise that was fulfilled on the first Christmas and in the wonder of being here with my little family. There are sweet, sweet moments like that, that I have a hard time coming up with words for. ..moments when I feel every ounce of joy and the gravity of being at home with Addie. It's like the day we brought her home all over again - too big for my simple words.

We were able to go home to Greeneville to be with our larger immediate family this year - the past two years we've just visited with our parents here at the house - so it was pure joy to see our siblings and Philip's grandmother, uncle and a few others. It was so much like packing up and going to spend Christmas night at my Mamaw and Papaw Wilds' house. It was truly one of those life come full circle moments that would have been memorable with our first child but made even more so because it's been three years in the making.

So, since I am playing catch up, I will let the pictures tell the rest of the story. They're better than my words anyway!

Snoozing with all of her "children". ..Violet and three babies. 
They have no names. ..just "Baby". We're going to work on that this year..

I love this picture of them!

Making candy!

Some of my fondest memories were made with these very candy molds!
(..And then I warped them in the dishwasher. ..sorry, Mom!)

Handprint ornaments. ..much bigger than they were 2 years ago. 


Mamaw, come save me! Mom & Dad are losing their minds. ..

We were both working on painting projects. ..hers turned out the best, I think. 

Mine turned out ok. ..

I.LOVE.THIS.

"Helping" with the tree. ..


Best cookies ever.


Baker coming through. ..please hold your applause!

Making candy with Mamaw!

I love her "kiss" face. ..

Happiest cookie maker, ever.

Obsessed with the mixer. ..and Daddy's calculator.

Painting sugar cookies for Santa.

Love this one of them, too!

Finished cookies. ..now you can visit, Santa!

Looking her newest baby in the eyes. ..

Prince "helped" with wrapping. ..

Rare family photo!

Exploring at Mamaw's house. ..

Having fun at Mamaw's house!

Playing on the new table that Santa's "elves" helped build!

Smart Phone intrigue..

Aaron & Prince were fast friends!

Presents weren't nearly as interesting for Addie as her family was.

Photo op with Aunt Laura.

Busy, busy, busy!

So many grandparents in one place!! :)

Playing with Mamaw Austin's "old timey" wall phone!

Home at last! Final photos of the holiday. ..

Love this sweet girl!

Addie truly was too busy playing with her family and exploring to open more than one or two presents (under duress) on Christmas, so we opened one or two a day for a few days after Christmas. It was a great reminder that the holiday is truly about family and time together. ..the presents are certainly nice (and have been played with a lot since), but if they weren't there, we would still have a blessed holiday spending time with family. 

2 comments:

  1. You were meant to have a girl! Love all of the baking, crafting, and decorating!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks!!! I think having a girl is the best thing EVER. ..it's so much fun!

    ReplyDelete