Sunday, June 30, 2013

Going Home

Growing up, Sunday afternoons were spent at my Mamaw & Papaw Wilds' house nestled between rolling hills and towering mountains in Houston Valley. It was a 15-20 minute (very curvy) drive from my parents' house or 30-40 minutes from town; either way, it feels like forever when you're a kid. I remember thinking we could never get there fast enough. Getting to Mamaw's house meant cousins to play with, Neapolitan ice cream, a huge farm to explore, and an ice cold Pepsi when we were done. 

Ideally, it was summer and not raining so my cousins and Aaron and I could play outside. We played rousing games of tag, rolled sideways down hills, threw balls over the line that connected their house to the main electric power line at the road, climbed trees, went for walks, picked blackberries, explored fields and barns and falling down abandoned houses, pretended to be horses, and if we were really lucky, we got to "help" Papaw drive the tractor or visit the baby chicks in the chicken house. I know that sounds very "Little House on the Prairie", but it was absolutely wonderful. If it rained or was cold out, activities were more limited. Cable didn't come out to the Valley (not that Mamaw & Papaw would have had it anyway), and this was in the Dark Ages before Apple took over the world and cell phones started growing out of our hands, so indoor options were limited. At least in the winter, Mamaw's house was the warmest place on earth for a Sunday afternoon nap. ..but otherwise we were "stuck" listening to our moms and Mamaw "solve the world's problems" or watching some pro football game with the dads. Now even the boring times seem incredibly perfect, and those memories are filled with simple, happy moments. I would give anything to go back and spend another lazy Sunday with Mamaw and Papaw on the farm.

I tell you all of that to say. ..Addie made her first trip to visit her grandparents in Greene County for our first ever joint birthday party last month. Unfortunately for her, the drive is more like 1.5 hours one way, but the roads are mostly straight and of the four lane variety and for now she is the center of attention, and we are leaving the world's problems to greater minds. It was a relatively uneventful drive (as long as you don't count the 1200 times we sang Old MacDonald to keep her from screaming for the entire 1.5 hours), and the weather was perfect. I genuinely believe that God was smiling as we made this journey that was two years in the making.. .He certainly gave us the perfect day!

Since going home hasn't been an option, I have simply chosen not to think about it or how long it has been since I have been there, and since I didn't want to spend the day an emotional disaster, I chose to not think about it on this beautiful day, either. Any time my mind started to wander in that general direction, I could feel tears welling up, and I just had too much to do and see to waste a moment on tears. As if going home wasn't enough, this trip also signified a new stage in our life with Addie. We can leave our little cocoon!

I am so thankful that we live in Knoxville. We have access to amazing specialists for Addie, a wealth of great PT's, OT's, ST's and any other type of therapist we may need down the road for her, and most importantly, her neurosurgeon is a quick 15 - 20 minute drive from our door if we have a problem. We have amazing friends (many who are more like family than friends) here. It also doesn't hurt living 7 minutes from Super Target, the Carter's Store, dozens of restaurants, Hobby Lobby and Starbucks. That being said.. .I miss Greeneville more than I generally care to admit. There is something to be said for a slower pace, a smaller town, fewer options, and knowing at least half of the people in town. I still have so many amazing friends in Greeneville that I rarely get to see now but who have been and continue to be so supportive of our new life with Addie. Growing up in Greene County is a huge part of who I am today, and it makes me happy to know that Addie will get to spend time there as she grows up. I guess I am proof that you can take the girl out of Greene County, but you can't ever take Greene County out of the girl. ..or something cheesy but true along those lines.

So. ..back to the farm. The plan was to get to Greeneville in time for Addie to get acclimated to her new environment (she's only been to 2 other houses besides her own in her entire life..) before the crowd rolled in and the party started, and hopefully catch a catnap. She informed us that we didn't run the plan by her, so she happily played, explored and inspected every nook and cranny and toy that survived my childhood right up until it was time for lunch and everyone was present. Then she decided it was nap time. ..of course! So, she napped, everyone else ate, and we opened presents and had cake later, once she woke up. Ah, ever the princess! We explored outside, met Coco the miniature poodle and Jake (Great Dane mix, saved from a WalMart shopping cart many years ago) and Scooter (Black Lab-ish, also a rescue) and even a goat or three. Uncle Aaron has some pretty awesome animals out there on the farm. We'll have to make a return visit to meet the cows, donkey and horses.. .there is only so much a girl can fit into one day!

There aren't words to describe how surreal it was to hold Addie in the room I grew up in. ..to look into the mirror where I dreamed of prince charming and grimaced at bad hair, braces and terrible early 90's clothes and see a grown up Rachel and my darling baby girl looking back at me. It was all so incredibly familiar and wonderful. Some things hadn't changed a bit - my trophies and ribbons from long past accomplishments still sat on the shelf above my bed, my scarf from President Bush' first inauguration is still on display, and flowers from some of my dear friends' weddings are still hanging up where they dried 3, 5, and 10 years ago - and yet I feel like everything has changed. I guess it has. I'm a mom and a wife. ..Addie is a miracle.. life isn't easy, ever, anymore.. and I am in awe of every single day of my life. I'm no longer dreaming about what my life will be like; I'm living it. I dug into an old closet, not sure what I was looking for - maybe scraps of the person I left behind - and had so much fun stumbling across old pictures from high school, college and just after that I had long since forgotten. It was a very strange "This is your life, Rachel Austin Humphreys" moment, but it made me smile. I love to look back and smile at pictures, memories, and even old college papers and day planners. ..I still wince at some of the poor choices I made along the way (they seemed like the thing to do at the time, but with 10 - 11 years' perspective, I would love to go back and smack 21-23 year old me up the side of the head sometimes), but the beautiful thing about the whole mess of it all is that it brought me here (with lots of grace, guidance and more miracles than I can count from my Heavenly Father). Here, today, I have a caring, hard working husband, a beautiful miracle of a 2 year old by my side each day, and I am constantly reminded of the blessings in my life. Healthy parents, supportive siblings, and the best friends and support system a girl could ever ask for.

A month later, it almost seems like a dream. ...Addie got to see "my" mountains for the first time. She got to sit in the window where a nerdy teenage girl used to curl up and read for hours and hours. I know this isn't a huge thing. ..millions of other moms get to do this each year and millions of others don't because their childhood home has been sold, etc. etc., but for me, this was a moment that will forever be seared in my memory. Standing there, looking in the mirror with Addie I saw more than just a mother and her daughter staring back at me. I saw two survivors. Just like everything else in our life, we had to work hard for this trip home, and just like every other milestone we've worked for, this one was that much sweeter because we earned it. There is truly no place like home.

Perfect Day - Great weather, green grass, and TWO cakes!

Who knew Grandmama would be HERE?!

A table just her size!

Playing with / chasing Coco. ..Addie LOVED him!

She ate a little cake!! 
I didn't just put some on her face for a photo op this year.. this is all her!

She didn't mind the crowd. She's playing an impromptu game of hide & seek.
With frosting on her hands. ..perfect.

It really was the most beautiful day. Ever.

Walking in the grass! Woohoo! 
She's carrying a plastic egg she found in the house.. We couldn't leave it behind to go outside.

Sweet Daddy moment. ..

Stopping to rest and eat a little. Patch #1 bit the dust at this point.

My favorite family pic to date. We're outside!!!
LOVE her smile!

One worn out party animal back in Knoxville..

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful family! Lovely memories... She is just beautiful! You guys are just so inspirational. Your hardwork and hers is paying off. I figure it is an everyday struggle. But you are awesome.

    ReplyDelete